Protests sparked by Trump’s Jerusalem declaration continue in Gaza
Israeli troops shot dead a wheelchair-bound man with no legs in Gaza today as three other Palestinians were killed during protests, medical officials said.
Another 150 were hurt as protests over US President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital enter their second week.
Disabled Ibrahim Abu Thurayeh, 29, was taken to al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City after being shot by troops but was later pronounced dead.
Abu Thurayeh, who had previously lost both his legs, was shot along the border east of Gaza City in the north of the Palestinian enclave, the Palestinian health ministry said.
It came shortly after another man nearby was killed in similar circumstances, they added.
Local media reported that Thurayeh lost his legs during the 2014 Gaza war with Israel, but this has not yet been confirmed.
Gaza Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Kidra said the two Palestinians in Gaza City were killed from gunshots to the head.
Most of the casualties today were on the Gaza Strip “border”, where thousands of Palestinians gathered to hurl rocks at Israeli soldiers beyond the fortified fence.
In the occupied West Bank, another territory where Palestinians seek statehood along with adjacent East Jerusalem, medics said one protester was killed and five wounded by Israeli gunfire.
One was a man who Israeli police troopers said was shot after he stabbed and moderately wounded a member of their unit.
Today’s deaths increase the number of Palestinians killed since Trump’s declaration to eight.
Palestinians – and the wider Arab and Muslim world – were incensed at Trump’s December 6 announcement, which reversed decades of US policy reticence on Jerusalem, a city where both Israel and the Palestinians want sovereignty.
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
- Wheelchair-bound Ibrahim Abu Thurayeh, 29, was shot and killed in Gaza City today, medical officials claimed
- Another man reported killed in similar circumstances in the area, while another man was killed in West Bank
- Yet another died from his wounds after being hurt during clashes in Jerusalem, the city at the heart of dispute
- Incident unfolded amid riots over Donald Trump’s decision to recognise Jerusalem as being capital of Israel
- In West Bank, killed man reported to have been armed with a knife and mock suicide belt before being shot
By Julian Robinson
This article was first published by Daily Mail Online(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/)
The 21st Century