Reports abound of a looming food crisis of epic proportions.
If the worst should happen, whether it be depression-era style economic collapse, debilitating natural disaster or global food shortage, the urgent need to procure a storable food supply today will be vital to the survival of you and your loved ones.
Let’s look at the facts; consider information released in an article today titled: “World Food Prices Rise, Stay Close to Crisis Levels: UN,” truncated below:
World food prices rose in September and are seen remaining close to levels reached during the 2008 food crisis, the United Nations’ food agency said on Thursday, while cutting its forecast for global cereal output.
The worst drought in more than 50 years in the United States sent corn and soybean prices to record highs over the summer, and, coupled with drought in Russia and other Black Sea exporting countries, raised fears of a renewed crisis.
Grains prices have retreated in recent weeks due to rapid harvest progress and concerns about weak demand in a slowing global economy.
But the Food and Agriculture Organisation’s (FAO) price index, which measures monthly price changes for a food basket of cereals, oilseeds, dairy, meat and sugar, rose 1.4 percent to an average of 216 points in September after remaining stable at 213 points in August.
The rise reflected mainly higher dairy and meat prices, with more contained increases for cereals, it said.
“Prices are remaining high… prices are sustained, it’s highly unlikely we will see a normalisation of prices anytime soon,” FAO senior economist Abdolreza Abbassian told Reuters in a telephone interview.
He added however that it was not clear whether the small increase in September meant prices were now on an upward trend, but he expected volatility in markets could intensify in coming months.
- World food prices rise further, raising fears of unrest
- Fears of new food crisis as prices soar
- The Price Of Corn Hits A Record High As A Global Food Crisis Looms
- Food prices to rise by up to 40% over next decade, UN report warns
- Worldwide Food Crisis Looms As Forecasters Predict Record High Prices
- Food Crisis 2010 and US Dollar Impact
- We’ll make a killing out of food crisis, Glencore Commodity Trader
- Wheat Crisis Threatens Inflationary Timebomb, Food Riots
- Food Prices Expected to Rise Sharply
- Russian drought could push up food prices
- The food crisis begins to bite
- Food crisis being felt around world