The State Oceanic Administration has revealed the results of its initial investigation of the recent oil spill in the Bohai Sea. It says ConocoPhillips China, a subsidiary of the U.S. energy giant ConocoPhillips, “should take the blame” for the oil leak near the Penglai 19-3 oil field in Bohai Bay in north China. It faces prosecution for damaging the environment.
According to the administration, the oil leak happened on platform B and C of Penglai 19-3 oil field. The leak from platform-B resulted from increased pressure of strata when workers injected water. The leak from platform-C was due to a surge in the well coupled with leaks on the side.
“The accident has now been brought under control. But we have required the oil project to halt all operations, and conduct a thorough self-check to ensure there is no risk of more oil spills. ”
The State Oceanic Administration says the incident polluted an area of 840 square kilometers. As of Monday, a total of 70 cubic meters of water-oil hybrid in the area had been cleaned up, but an oil film can still be seen on the sea surface.
“We have made an initial estimate of the oil spill amount. However, there is still a very small amount of oil leaking. The overall oil spill amount will be confirmed later. ”
The field is under the operation of US energy company ConocoPhillips. China National Offshore Oil Corporation, the country’s largest offshore oil producer, holds a 51 percent equity stake.